Our wonderful windmill was built in 1837 by the entrepreneur John Vincent. Seeing an opportunity in the developing Oatlands community, he established the mill. The mill produced flour for the community, and (on the side) he established a distillery, which was illegal at the time.
John Vincent established a number of pubs and hotels in the area, and of course his illegal distillery could supply those establishments. Initially he struggled to find a miller – it wasn’t until 1840 that he found one and was able to open the mill commercially.
This is the Millers Hut found on the Mill precinct. The Miller stayed close by for easy access to the Mill.
The mill precinct was leased in 1837 onwards. There was a piggery and a stable, a barn, a storage area for supplies and a granary for the grain.
Callington Mill has been lovingly restored, along with the other buildings that make up the Mill Precinct.
Don't miss a visit to Callington Mill when you are next in Tasmania.